Why should I use the personal web server instead of ASPexplore. Do I really need this?
ASPexplore Software is much more than web server
emulation. It allows the creation of whole bindable
(combined) applications, the encryption of your source
code, the creation of setups, the addition of self
registered ODBC databases and other ddls and many
further functions. The most important thing: you can
distribute your application built by ASPexplore anywhere
you want. The end user does not need anything more than
Microsoft Internet Explorer (4.0 or newer) installed.
Who uses ASPexplore Software?
ASPexplore package as product, has been launched very
recently. However, it already has high profile
customers. Read what Software Development Manager, Dr
Wojtek Szermer of Fujitsu Kyushu System Engineering (FQS
Poland, Inc.) wrote:
"ASPexplore proved to be an excellent tool for
demonstrating our bioinformatics internet solutions. The
hassle-free installation of an ASP system packaged into
a desktop application makes it easy to present the
product at a customer's laptop any time, without the
overhead of installing additional software"
"ASP-Explore has turned out to be a dream come true!!!!
My software was initially designed as a Web Application
using ASP Classic.
Now thanks to ASP-Explore I am able to deliver my
product in LAN or Standalone versions without any major
programming changes. The tech support department at
ASP-Explore is top notch. They were able and willing to
work with my developers to ensure a successful
implementation of our application. I am very impressed
with the software and support I have gotten from
ASP-Explore and wish to say THANKS.
I highly recommend this company and software package.
Michael A. Kheyfets
Director of Technology
Before being launched as product, it was used in
numerous applications for such giant like Philips and
for companies of financial sector in Poland.
I found a bug or ASPexplore locks up. My code does
not work with ASPexplore but it works
Let us know about it! Write to
We will do our best to resolve the problem as soon as
My original site works with Dundas Upload component.
It does not work with ASPexplore. Why?
Dundas Upload requires some server features not
implemented in ASPexplore Software. ASPexplore works
with files locally. Just replace part of your code. Use
I work with ASPexplore Software and IIS at the same
time. A certain code has to be ignored by ASPexplore or
by IIS. How can this be achieved?
Use Request.ServerVariables. ASPexplore Software does
not define server variables as IIS does. It gives you
access to your system defined variables. For example ask
for REMOTE_ADDR variable. ASPexplore will return an
My application uses my own control. How to add it to
the setup? The SetupWizard installation page allows the
addition of executable files only.
Add your ddl or ocx like other files. Specify <SYSTEM
DIR>/ target dir if you want to add your dll to system
folder. Select the control file in the files window,
then check the 'Register file after installation'
option. Setup will try to register your control and
uninstalling the program will try to unregister it.
Would it work with ASPexplore?
Yes, it would. ASPexplore detects browser closing and
closes the window by itself without any question. Use
the script 'prompt' command if you want to choose
whether to close it or not. From version 1.1.16.x your
own confirmation messagebox is also available.
How to set server script timeout or default pages
Press the F2 button. This will give you access to the
server parameters. Values are stored in the registry, so
they are read during the next ASPexplore launch.
Has ASPexplore 100% compatibility with the latest
Internet Information Server?
No and it will never have. Until now ASPexplore has
implemented 4 built-in Active Server Pages objects
(Server, Session, Request, Response). We have been
trying to implement these objects as close to the IIS
versions as possible but they have some limitations and
occasionally they behave in a different way than you
would expect. The work on ASPexplore Software and
introduction of new features is still going on.
What are dialog box units? What is the difference
between window size in pixels and dbu?
The size of window created using dbu size depends on the
font size used on the user machine. This allows the
window to fit all text regardless of user font size (120
or 96 dpi). With small fonts 1 horizontal dbu is 1.5
pixels, and 1 vertical dbu is about 1.6243 pixels.
How to switch ASPexplore window to full screen?
Press the F11 key. Press again to exit from full screen.
I do not see some images or some links are broken.
What is the reason?
Probably a page points to a file in the root folder or
its path begins with a "/" mark, e.g.
/images/myimage.jpg. You can see that ASPexplore
Software creates virtual sites http://local-c (d, e..
and so on) for each drive and http://home for ASPexplore
or your application base directory. Let's imagine that
you are testing your project in c:\myprojects\test
folder. Press F2 and define home directory as
c:\myprojects\test. Now c:\myprojects\test\default.asp
can be represented as
http://home/default.asp. The difference is that
/images/myimage.jpg points to c:/images/myimage.jpg in
first case and to c:/myprojects/test/images/myimage.jpg
in second one. This can be a little bit confusing, but
remember that final product will work with paths
http://home based. At design time it is impossible to
know where http://home will point to. It depends where
your application is installed to.
I still cannot see some images. Sometimes they are
there, sometimes not.
We are investigating this problem. It usually happens
when a page contains multiple gif images. We assume that
this is a browser caching problem. Try adding the
following script to your page:
myimage = new Image();
myimage.src = "/images/myimage.gif";
ASPexplore cannot work due to Norton AntiVirus
protection activity. How can this problem be solved ?
ASPexplore is based on scripting technology. If your
Norton AntiVirus has an option of blocking scripts, you
have to uncheck it to enable ASPexplore to work (in NAV
choose Options - Script Blocking and uncheck the box).
What's new in current version?
Here is a list of new features, changes and bug fixes:
- some small fixes in setupmaker
- new key generation algorithm
- retail copy key added; every retail copy must me
recompiled with different key
- abort capability during setup creation in setupmaker
- fixed library compatibility in setup on NT 4.0
- request.servervariables("INSTALL_DIR") and
request.servervariables("PRODUCT_NAME") added to code
1.0.11 (2003.04.24 release)
- NT 4.0 setup bug fixed
- abort capability during setup file extraction
1.0.11 (2003.06.13 release)
- over 64kB setup index file (windows 98 system) now is
- local html temporary files are now deleted with
application launch after previous program crash
- SerialPort and ParallelPort ASP interfaces added
- version correction; product version is now 1.1 as
expected, third number is major build version
- fixed browser resize capability using page script
(further testings are recommended)
- file version properly recognized by shell
- first file opening bug (blank page on startup, nothing
can be opened) on some computers - fixed (further
testings are recommended)
- welcome page added
- new file processing conception: protocol handler used;
Internet Explorer 4.0 is sufficient, Windows 95 probably
too (need more tests)
- virtual drive is no longer required, http://local-...
, http://home and http://network-... namespaces defined
- new dll name (memberasp2.dll) for backward
compatibility (can be registered together with old
MemberASP.dll); new interface names and guids, ISettings
- session.contents, session.contents.remove and
session.contents.removeall methods added
- multitheading - script execution doesn't suspend
application, script can be stopped by navigation (back,
forward, refresh) or stop button, multiple scripts can
be processed at the same time
- script output (asp page) displayed in real time, not
only when completed
- short name removed from SetupMaker
- Response.write accepts are variable types convertable
- server.scripttimeout works properly
- multipart/form-data form type supported
- request.server variables is collecton now; supported
variables: APPL_MD_PATH, APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH,
CONTENT_LENGTH, CONTENT_TYPE, HTTPS, HTTPS_KEYSIZE,
HTTPS_SERVER_SUBJECT, INSTANCE_ID, INSTANCE_META_PATH,
PATH_INFO, PATH_TRANSLATED, QUERY_STRING, REMOTE_ADDR,
REMOTE_HOST, REMOTE_USER, REQUEST_METHOD, SCRIPT_NAME,
SERVER_NAME, URL, HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE, HTTP_USER_AGENT,
HTTP_BUILD_VERSION, HTTP_INSTALL_DIR, HTTP_PRODUCT_NAME
- immidiate abort capabillity of infinite scripts
- msscript.ocx no longer used
- better collections implementation
- server.transfer, server.execute methods added;
response.end & response.redirect are no longer affected
by "on error resume.next" statement
- new script processing implementation; separate script
class implemented - possibility of killing file
processing while script is blocked in some called
(f.e endless base opening or user input request on
server console). Stop operation, page reload or close
program will kill that script.
- fix for huge non asp files loading (f.e. pdf's)
- Remove All option for files in setupmaker
- new methods: Response.Expires,
- new methods prototypes: Response.IsClientConnected,
- new option: always offline
- F8 for forcing Session.Abandon at any time while build
- crc checking
- new methods added: response.expires,
- new method prototypes added (dummy):
- new method prototype added: response.addheader (works
corectly with Content-Disposition only)
- new option: allow timed out script continue - removed
server side script execution option
- new option: enable cache for dynamic pages - to switch
- new option: default installation directory
- new option: local components - to avoid administartor
- icon modification with multiple choice during setup
- administrator privilliges detection in setup
- new feature: ability to register wsc files in setup
- pdf to pdf file link works properly now
- JScript and all other non-standard languages installed
in system are supported now; @LANGUAGE directive
- RequestDictionary.Key and VariantDictionary.Key
properties added (f.e. Request.QueryString.Key(1))
- exit confirmation message option
- fix for 512+ kB response.write string
- new faster preprocessing engine with proper script
name and line number detection
- @LCID directive supported
- session.lcid, response.lcid, response.blockwrite
- homepage and home directory can be set in runtime
options during build time (F2 key)
- error in asp code lines longer than 512 characters
- minor editorial and appearance changes (graphics
- full handling of Polish language (new graphics and
messages). Interface language choice is done on first
page of SetupMaker and does not reflect the code
created. Generated application language choice is done
in Setup tab.
- double-language startup page
- blocking of adding ASPexplore local pages history to
global browser history
- better support of Windows 98
- minor Setup changes
- support for hyperthtreading machines (affinity set to
1 processor for new threads)
- Fujitsu-Siemens machines amendment
- new section on server tab - cache enabled or not;
fixed limits for file quantity and kbytes in cache
- saving of configuration options to a wiz file
- saving of options in currently generated setup
- english and polish tooltips for new elements
- new section in settings tab - cache enabled or not;
fixed limits for file quantity and kbytes in cache
- saving/reading of options in registry
- english and polish tooltips for new elements
- read of options from setup configuration
- options sent to MemberASP2 component, previous version
- options interface extended by new functions
- change in cache class with consideration of
1. deleting of oldest files
2. moving to the end of queue recently opened cache
3. deleting from cache unvalid files; files flagged as
NEEDFILE are not
4. immediate cache cleaning
5. servervariables function shows current cache state
- selection of single icon in setup corrected
- error line number in script changed (if 'include' was
- content disposition corrected (way of file transfer
between threads were changed).
- hyperthread machine fixes
- SetupMaker: generate exe option switches icon to first
- Setup: switches icon correctly if only one specified
- fix to Server.HTMLEncode (adds ; char)
- Response.CharSet, Response.Codepage
- @CODEPAGE directive
- fix: full support of Unicode in response to client and
in get/post for Request collecting
- running ASPExplore browser with default Open File